At left, Camille Maben, director of the state Dept. of Education, Child Development Div., and Patty Siegel, retiring executive director of the California Child Care Resource and Referral Network. Both women seen here in happier days for the world of child care/early ed.
The state Department of Finance is expected to announce no later than Thursday what level of triggers will be pulled on public expenses, per the budget agreement last June (if certain revenue expectations were not reached, two tiers of cuts would ensue, respectively).
The midyear cuts could total as much as $2.5 billion, depending on the calculations of the Finance Dept.
As Kevin Yamamura reminds us in today's Sacramento Bee:
..."Child care providers are concerned," said Patty Siegel, executive director of the California Child Care Resource and Referral Network, who is hoping to avoid a $23 million cut to child care after facing a $412 million reduction this summer. "Those already on the cusp of closing are wondering, is this the piece that will put them over the edge?"
The budget divided cuts into two tiers. The first goes into effect if fiscal officials determine the state will be at least $1 billion shy by June, and most people at risk already assume they will lose funding. Finance Director Ana Matosantos said last month that "some level of trigger cuts will likely occur."
The first tier is the broadest; it includes $600 million in reductions to higher education, In-Home Supportive Services, subsidized child care and developmental services, among other programs.
It would require counties to pay $125,000 for each juvenile offender they sent to a state facility, which local officials said would result in more youths being tried as adults and less rehabilitation.
The first-tier cuts would begin in January.
The second tier includes cuts to community colleges and K-12 schools. They would go into effect if it is determined the state has fallen off track by at least $2 billion....